Friday, August 5, 2011

An Introduction

Where do I begin?

I've always loved old movies. The first movie I ever saw was The Wizard of Oz (1939) when I was four years old. I was immediately hooked. I started watching more and soon found that I couldn't get enough. Something about them fascinated me. My obsession with watching old movies soon expanded to reading books about how they were made and the people who made them. Over the years, I've amassed quite a lot of information (some significant, some trivial) about classic movies and stars and I wanted to start recording my thoughts on them. A blog seems like the perfect way to do that. Plus, I've been looking for a creative outlet lately and writing regularly will probably be helpful in that regard.

I read quite a few film blogs and they're all very impressive. A lot of the content that these bloggers produce is outstanding. I'm not sure how my own efforts will measure up. I'm also not exactly sure what sort of things I'll be posting here. I don't have a film studies degree or any sort of credentials or expertise besides my love for the movies. So it's possible that I really don't have any idea what I'm talking about. But it's my blog and I'm going to write what I want so, if anyone is actually reading this, please just let me indulge myself.

Also, a warning: my tastes may seem a little odd to some other movie lovers. For example:

1. I've never seen Citizen Kane (1941).
2. I like John Payne more than I like John Wayne.
3. I've seen more movies with MacDonald and Eddy than Bogart and Bacall.
4. My main interest is in the movies and stars of the "studio era." I figure that this includes any movie made between 1930 and 1959.
5. I haven't seen many silent films. This is something I would like to learn more about but haven't yet.

I'm also really interested in history and enjoy reading about movies in their historical contexts. I like finding out about what was going on in the world when they were made and first released. It can really enhance your viewing experience!

I also really like lists. Something about efficiently compartmentalizing information in a list format appeals to me. This blog will probably feature lists in some manner.

Basically, I'm going to be making this up as I go along. We'll see what happens. Regardless, I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I'll enjoy writing it. And please feel free to leave a comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment